The numbers are sobering. Over 1.2 billion people in the world are between 15 and 24 years of age, a growing number that amounts to nearly 17 percent of the world population. And between 2008 and 2011, the youth unemployment rate saw its largest annual increase on record; it rose from 11.8 to 12.6 percent.
At the 2013 World Economic Forum, NFTE released a new white paper, “Your Assignment: Grow the Global Economy.” It outlines the rationale for expanding the outreach of entrepreneurship education to combat the trend of youth unemployment:
- What are the specific characteristics of the entrepreneurial mindset?
- How does education in entrepreneurship support youth in a wide range of economic conditions?
- How can the entrepreneurial mindset support the needs for growth in STEM careers and the need to bridge the “skills gap”?
- What are the best ways to convert the classroom learning environment to better develop entrepreneurial skills?
- Where should educators, policymakers and business leaders focus their next efforts?
The demands of the global economy are ready to be brought through the front doors of our schools and into the lives of youth everywhere. With this new paper, NFTE makes an important contribution to the growing global conversation, with ideas you can use to make a difference.